You are here
Indicators related to education expenditure help to show what financial resources are directed to education. The resource allocation issues they provide insight into include government emphasis on education compared to other sectors, the relative priority of specific school levels in national education strategies, and spending on teacher salaries. In combination with other indicators, such as school participation and learning outcomes, expenditure data can be used to consider the efficiency and effectiveness of resource allocation in the education sector. One quality concern with education expenditure indicators is that, in some cases, they may refer only to spending by the Ministry of Education and thus not capture spending by other ministries on educational programs. When comparing expenditure indicators for multiple years or across multiple data sources, users should remember to adjust for inflation.
EPDC outlined parameters for the resource investments, such as teacher salaries and school rehabilitation, necessary to meet Education for All in Estimating the Costs of Achieving Education for All in Low-Income Countries, a background paper for the Education for All Global Monitoring Report 2010.
- Estimating the Costs of Achieving Education for All in Low-Income Countries
- School Fee Abolition: Teachers’ Voices
- School Fee Abolition: Parents’ Perspectives
- School Fee Abolition: Impact on Learning and Persistence
- School Fees in South Africa: Increasing quality or decreasing equality?
- School Effectiveness: Improving the Use of Financial Investments in Education
- EQUIP2 Final Report
- Modeling Methodology and Assumptions in HIPE-Trend Based Model
- The Nickels and Dimes of Education for All: The expansion of primary education in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Investment in Equity and Peacebuilding: Uganda Case Study
- Investment in Equity and Peacebuilding: South Africa Case Study
Search for data related to this Topic by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search