You are here
Gender parity indices
Measures of gender parity in education help to explain how participation in and opportunities for schooling compare for females and males. With the emphasis of Education for All on gender equality in education, gender parity indices (GPIs) are frequently used in examining progress towards the goals established by this initiative. GPIs help with this comparison by showing the ratio of female to male values for a given indicator. An index of value less than 1 indicates that indicator values are higher for males than for females; an index value of greater than 1 indicates that indicator values are higher for females than for males. Consequently, where the GPI equals 1, parity has been achieved. When interpreting time trends, it is important to note that parity in GPI for an indicator does not necessarily mean that the educational situation for a gender group has improved. Instead, it may mean that participation or opportunities for the other gender group have declined.
- EXCLUSIVE: UN says Rohingya malnutrition rates rising during Myanmar military operations
- Modern Servitude: Romanian Badante Care for Elders in Italy
- The roots and risks of Myanmar’s new Rohingya insurgency
- EXCLUSIVE: UN warns Myanmar that demolishing Rohingya homes will ‘heighten tensions’
- Ten humanitarian stories to look out for in 2017
- Global Educational Trends
- Indicator Handbook for Primary Education (Abridged)
- Strengthening Gender and Education Programming in the 21st Century
- Why Gender Equity in Education Reform?
- Meeting EFA: Egypt Community Schools
- Teenage, Married, and Out of School: Effects of early marriage and childbirth on school dropout
- Education Inequality and Violent Conflict: Evidence and Policy Considerations
Search for data related to this Topic by selecting the dimensions that you want to include in your results. The selection of the years will trigger a process to show you the number of results on your search according to the selected criteria. Switch to the Advanced Search if you want to include more dimensions in your search criteria.Switch to Advanced Search